Monday, August 11, 2014

Realizing the Importance of Family Time

Today marked the end of a much deserved and long-overdue family vacation... something many people take for granted or have grown accustomed to, yet sadly something that I had never taken the time to do with my family. Day after day, week, after week, year after year, I sat back and looked at pictures being posted of family vacations from friends and acquaintances all over the globe and often wondered when I would finally do this with mine.

Even though at times in my life not taking vacation was due to the lack of money... that reason eventually changed. What had not changed was the time freedom... the ability to be able to plan and carry out several days off. For all of my working life, I have been either self- employed or a business owner who felt that I could not leave my business behind. There were no paid vacations or PTO in my world. If I was going to do this, it had to be carefully planned and worry free; paid for in full without wondering if I would be set back when I returned. I have run the rat race for so long that I allowed fear to get in the way of me getting out there to enjoy what all the hard work I put in had created even when my situation had changed.

In my day to day, I am very routine... almost to the annoying point I might add, and I learned this week that it's my routines that are what likely keep me from being able to relax and enjoy everything; I need to work on that. I get so caught up in this web of workaholism that I have no idea how to get untangled and technology has only made it worse. I always have one more email to reply to or check, one more phone call to make or one more item on my to-do list that cannot wait. I forced myself to unplug for the last several days and found myself scrambling for something to keep my time occupied, I could not just SIT, I was restless every night, tossing and turning and found myself staring at the ceiling nearly every night with thoughts running through my head wishing I had a laptop. I finally got a restful sleep Friday night out of pure exhaustion only to lie awake again on Saturday night thinking about all of the things I would have to do when I returned... sadly I was not stressed about it, I was excited and could not WAIT to get back to work.

I am really happy that I did this, that I took the time... although it was hard for me and I could not even readily say "yes" when a friend asked me if I had fun because work is what is fun for me. I am happy that I forced myself out of my comfort zone because it is only then that we can experience change in our lives. We cannot live by fear, we must live by opportunity, chance, and change.

As I sit at my laptop happily writing this routine blog on a quiet Sunday evening, I can say, YES.. I DID have fun. I thoroughly enjoyed watching my kids swim, laugh and run around, I will cherish playing Go-Fish with Zane to occupy my antsy down time, as well as bottle up the giggles that escaped Brie's lips when we all clapped loudly as she rolled a large straight in one single roll on the night we played Yahtzee together, or the anxiousness I could see in Baleigh's eyes when I took her on a haunted tour of the St. Augustine Lighthouse in the dark... it was a good time; much needed time and I am going to make it a point to take this time more often. I assume that practice makes perfect in not only work but also in play. Any advice on that one feel free to comment and I hope that you enjoy the pictures that I chose to share....


My little reminder in the sand of what is most important

Off to the pool with my sun hat and SPF 50  

My brave little Brie enjoying the slide...

Where we spent most of our time

 My toes in the sand; a place they rarely tread 
  
After a long day at the pool we headed over to the beach to watch the sun go down



Ahoy Mates! A pirate has escaped!

 Enjoying a historical trolley ride around St. Augustine after a long day of walking in the heat

 Baleigh and I about to go on our "Ghost Tour" at the St. Augustine Lighthouse
It was cool and historical but LAME in the scare department

We climbed all the way to the top in the dark with nothing but a glow stick around our necks

I found my dream home... I will build it in New England or Colorado






And well... I could not think of a better way to end this blog post....



 xoxo

Shells


                                         
                                                          
I HOPE THAT YOU WILL:

SHARE THIS POST

Follow me on Facebook


Follow me on Twitter

https://twitter.com/shelleygiard



To purchase a signed copy of my book click here

www.ineedthehappyending.com

or to by it on Amazon
                                                       


No comments:

Post a Comment