Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Thoughts on the Reality of Depression

The brain is our most powerful organ; the mouth our second. Some people do all they can to utilize their brain to it's full capacity by pushing it to limits, some consistently waste it, some don't have the ability to express what their brain is capable of due to a disability and then there are those who struggle every day with chemical imbalances that cause depression even when there is nothing to be depressed about. It is very sad that a man with talents we dream of having and success that many of us strive for dealt with the demons of depression so intensely that he took his own life. Why he did not seek help is hard to understand... but then I think, maybe nobody opened their mouth to ask him if he was okay or help him; perhaps nobody noticed he was suffering from depression. His long struggle with alcoholism was what people knew of, typically a vice signaling a deeper issue. People with TRUE depression often hide the signals very well, they do not seek attention and usually suffer internally.

I have said many times that what you see on the outside is not always a reflection of what is on the inside and vice versa. Don't be fooled by a smile, don't walk away from a frown because we all have issues and sometimes just need someone to dig deeper. Judge a little less, have compassion a little more and pay attention to the "energies" around you. Be the person who offers an ear or a friend when nobody else will and do all that you can to shine light on everyone you come in contact with; you could be the difference in the choice of life or death for them.

In my book, I tell a story of an old client of mine who came to see me on the day she had planned to commit suicide knowing that I would would say something to keep her from it without even knowing that she was planning to do it. To this day the realization that I was that light for someone sends chills up my spine but makes me smile knowing that something I said had that kind of impact. I knew she was struggling with some things, I felt it, she always asked about me... and I finally asked questions about her... dug deeper at every appointment and offered a positive side to what she was going through the best I knew how at 20 years old.

Death in any manner is sad,whether in suicide, murder, famine, or war... but is undeniably our fate. Do what you can to keep it from happening prematurely. Get help if you need it, please don't be afraid to ask or talk to someone... you are only alone if you make that choice.

Rest in peace #RobinWilliams, as sad as we are that you will not bring us new laughter and joy with your incredible talent, this is a strong reminder that depression is real and it strikes all kinds of people... even those that we could never imagine.





No comments:

Post a Comment