Thursday, September 27, 2012

True Friends


Once upon a time, I was a young girl who felt out of place... I had moved away from my home town up north where I felt like I had a place and was planted into a new school in a southern state with new people who did not accept me. For years I felt left out and struggled to make friends and fit in; it was especially tough because back then all I needed was a really good friend. I managed through life for a long time accepting what I got with the occasional acquaintances, friends who were conditional, some who were very high maintenance and others who were frankly quite exhausting. I settled for that because I figured that's all I would ever have and that was better than nothing.

It was not until I had my first true friend that all of that changed and I realized that true friends came with no conditions, true friends understood that you can't always call them every day or even every week, but that when you did talk with them it was like you never had a lapse in time and that when they needed you you would never hesitate to be there and drop everything. I realized that not all friends wear you out with their dramatic, negative stories... but that some would enlighten you, inspire you and encourage you and listen to you when you needed to vent about your dramatic stories.

Today, I feel so blessed. I have many true friends and they matter to me more than anything... they are my extended family and I would throw myself under a bus for them. It's who I am and I am so happy that after all the years of being shunned that I never became bitter; that I never gave up on the thought of experiencing true friendship with no conditions... I am lucky now and I know just how lucky I am. As I have said in previous blog posts... you have to be a friend to have a friend and once you experience that feeling nothing can replace it.

I still have people who sneer and snicker at me... not understanding who I am because they are too busy paying attention to other things about me. That bothered me once upon a time... and sometimes it still does but as they snicker and sneer thinking that I am someone that I am not... I can smile as I think of the quality people in my life now, how as they giggle and gossip I am content and secure with the real deal... the true friends who I know will always be there exactly when I need them... as I am for them. i smile knowing that they don't matter, what they think does not matter and that is FREEING in so many ways.

If you are lucky enough to have one or two or more real friends then you know what I am talking about, if you struggling to find friends yourself and know that you are a true friend... don't give up and don't let them see you sweat it!

Have an awesome day and become a better friend, it will enrich your life in so many ways!

xoxo
~Shells~

~FUN WITH FRIENDS~

















No comments:

Post a Comment