Friday, December 14, 2012

On the Second Day of Christmas...

Given the events in Connecticut today, I decided to change tonight's post. 

On the second day of Christmas, this blogger gives to you... two thoughts to ponder 
and a blog post to share with your friends...


Tragedy... it surrounds someone everyday, it is heartbreaking, confusing and can never be predetermined... hence why it is called a tragic event. Unfortunately for many families today and many of us out here watching as the updates roll in, tragedy has struck once again. I am sad, for everyone involved; for the people who lost a loved one, for the mother who lost her life looking her own son in the eyes as he killed her, for the brother whose life was taken by his own flesh and blood and even though you may not understand my reasoning... I am sad for the gunman who fell through the cracks.
HOW is it that a person can calculate such a horrific scene without ANYONE noticing that something was wrong... I simply don't get it, and frankly don't believe it.  I pay very close attention to the people that surround me, I recognize pain, sadness, anger, resentment and odd behavior all of the time. It is almost a sixth sense for me now. I am aware of the emotions of others, I pay attention and offer help or an ear to listen when I take notice.

I am tired of the laziness that floods our society. People turn their head to things we should call attention to. I am tired of medication being handed out like skittles to children and adults whose minds are not stable or mature enough to handle it. Depression is real and so is mental illness but medication is not always the answer... getting to the root of the problem is our first responsibility. This "take a pill" mentality is as bad as allowing a violent video game to babysit your child. Many people have begun to voice their opinions on social media, and to that I will say this. I do believe guns are a problem because the hands that they fall into are controlled by the mind of the person pulling the trigger, and those minds are not always stable enough for the responsibility. We all need safety and security, I get that. I choose to pray instead of carry a gun, simple as that. You have your way, I have mine; in the end we all meet our destiny.

Tonight, I will pray for all of those involved, my heart aches for their loss. My sister was tragically taken from us many years ago, but what we went through does not even hold a candle to this calculated event. I will pray that parents in this world begin to realize the responsibility that comes with being a parent. It is way more than clothing and feeding and making sure they have expensive things and it is certainly not something you become to be socially accepted. It is a huge responsibility that you carry as long as you are alive and even beyond the grave because how you raise them affects society as long as THEY live with or without you. We must raise them to be assets to society, not menaces. We need to pay attention to what matters and stop worrying about things that don't. We need to love them enough to punish them when they do wrong and steer them in the right direction. How can we protect them from harm by allowing them to run free when they are headed down a dangerous path or mentally lost in the woods somewhere? We must take responsibility, not only as parents, but as members of society, so much so that if we should see someone that needs help... that we lend a hand or tell someone what we have witnessed that can get them the help they need. We must stop making fun of them, ignoring incidents, looking the other way when we feel uncomfortable, or simply handing them a pill to "control" their behavior.

I often say more than others will, and I am sure there are people who are annoyed by my choice to voice my opinion... and  that's okay, I am content knowing that I spoke up, that I stand up and try to change how people think. I am only one person and can only do so much good and so much harm. What I do know as I lay my head down tonight is that my family and I are protected by the strongest hands of all, and with that thought, I will end this post.


XOXO
~Shells~

Ecclesiastes3:1-4 – To every thing there is a season, a time to every purpose under the heaven: a time to be born, a time to die, a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal, a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance.






1 comment: