Friday, January 31, 2014

The Importance of Being Included

Tonight's blog was actually born from a thought that I had today regarding a few recent events that left me feeling kind of blegh. I don't feel this way often, but just as we all do... I have days when I just want to feel understood, like part of "the group."  I don't mean popularity, fame, or even getting a pat on the back. What I mean is just the feeling that what you do is noticed, understood and appreciated by the people that you want it from the most. Sure, I am blessed every single day with emails, letters, texts and friendly gestures from people, many who are strangers, that are inspired by my posts, my book, and my blogs. For that, I am so humbled and truly grateful. However once in a while, I still long for the feeling that I "fit in" to feel like I am part of something instead of that lone ranger, square peg, that I have always been reminded of being. At times we all battle with our emotions, our strengths, our weaknesses. When we allow ourselves to be vulnerable our minds travel to places some can never understand.

So as I decided on tonight's topic what I really wanted to do was just bang out a poem... like I used to when I had yucky days or great days that inspired the raw beauty of a simple poem; so here it goes totally unplanned....

I am barbaric, I am confident, I am raw and emotional,
I am fearful, I am brave, I am scared, I am heroic.

I am sad, I am happy, I am fulfilled, I am empty,
I am generous, I am selfish, I am busy, I am bored.

I am loving, I am committed, I am scattered, I am solid,
I am honest, I am open, I am strong, I am independent.

I am weak, I am lonely, I am satisfied, I am misunderstood.
I am passionate, I am friendly, I am silly, I am serious.

Wrapped up in a transparent piece of paper...
I am faithful, I am real; I am me.

S. Giard-

We all struggle with feelings of exclusion, at home, at our places of work, in groups of friends or colleagues; we notice the differences between "us" and "them" and once in while that feeling makes even the most confident people feel uncomfortable. If this is something that you can relate to, know that you are not weak, you are not weird and you shouldn't even care in the grand scheme; but it is hard sometimes as we all still understand the importance of feeling included and  know how wonderful it feels when we are accepted and understood for who we are.

xoxo
Shells

FEEL FREE TO:

SHARE THIS POST

Follow me on Facebook


Follow me on Twitter



No comments:

Post a Comment