Tuesday, January 10, 2012

One Chance... that cost me $9.99

I was lying down trying to sleep, and I simply couldn't. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve, so excited of the day ahead of me that unless I emptied my brain onto this "virtual paper" I was not going to be able to sleep a wink. Six years ago, I was financially unstable... to the point of being concerned of how I would pay my electric bill  every single month before it was shut off. I was a single mother of two doing everything I could to give my girls the best life possible. I was scraping by week to week but my career was beginning to blossom so I continued to keep my mind on my dreams and off of the bills that were piling up. I had just joined a website a few months prior that was geared for models, photographers, makeup artists and hair stylists... it was a place that you could post your "rap sheet" as well as your portfolio for all to see in hopes of getting paid work. The freelance world of artists is a tough one; it is an ocean full of guppies trying to swim against the current; loads of talent all competing for that one amazing opportunity.

I will never forget the day that hope became a reality for me. You know, the one break that can change your life that only comes around once in a lifetime? My day had been ruined because my clients for the entire next day at the salon had either cancelled or rescheduled leaving my day wide open and pockets empty; I knew that meant I would not have money to pay my bills. I was at home that evening sorting out in my brain how I was going to make up for that lost day when my phone rang. It was a lady inquiring about my availability the next day (the one that had fallen apart) for a last minute photo shoot. She informed me that the photographer had found my portfolio on the website that I mentioned and they thought I would be a perfect fit if I was available. I accepted the offer and showed up the next morning having no idea what it would mean to my life.
That was six years ago, and the "photographer" that had found my profile was Scott Kelby. At the time, I had no idea who he was; when I found out... I knew that this was my moment, my chance, my blessing... my reward.

In high school, my dream was to work with the rich and famous, and today I am living my dream. Through this relationship with Scott, I have had the amazing opportunity to work with some of the best photographers in the country... including him. I am working with "celebrity" photographers, and it is truly surreal. With all the choices he had, he chose me. I will be forever grateful for the chance he gave me, the loyalty he has shown me over the years, the lifelong friendships I have formed, and meeting the love of my life because of this one day.

Tomorrow.... I will be working with one of the top 5 wedding photographers in the world . I am SO blessed and so thankful that I never gave up on my dreams. I will continue to envision new ones and I am sure that I will live those too... all you have to do is never stop trying and never let life keep you down.

Every moment counts... every failure every fall leads to opportunity, we simply have to pay attention so we recognize it. My entire day cancelled... leaving me available for this chance and that one day has forever changed my life. The site's membership fee which I struggled to pay that month was $9.99. I would have to say it was worth it. The photo below was that first job with Scott. :)

Cheers to all of you! 
DREAM BIG! 
~Shelley~


2 comments: