Friday, January 20, 2012

A Wise Old Woman Once Said.....

~Julie~
 The 80-something year old lady that I met at the bank today while waiting to speak with a CSR about some statement copies I needed; and now... a person I will never forget. ( I just love stories like this by the way)

Being a Friday, the bank was crowded and just as I sat down, this attractive little white-haired woman sitting across from me who was completely put together whispered "come here" and... I did. I said to her "hi there, do you need something?" and she replied, "well, I figured since we were just sitting here, we could chat." I smiled and sat down next to her as she began to ask me my name. We sat there for a few minutes playing 20 questions and in that few minutes she learned that I had four kids, two divorces and what I did for a living. I learned that she had three kids that all lived a long way away, one grandchild, and a husband named Charles.

She went on to tell me that she used to be an electrolysis technician and that she had "the smoothest legs in Spring Hill" to which I smiled at the cuteness of that statement. She also told me that she learned long ago that if you don't want to have sex with a man all you have to do is tell him you have not shaved your legs. (I died laughing on that one!) She went on to tell me about Charles; how handsome and wonderful he was, how he never spoke cross words to her and how he always respected her and told her how beautiful she was. As she pulled out the loose picture of him she had tucked away in her purse, I looked at this handsome man and smiled. Her head dropped as she said, "he has been gone since 2001, and I miss him so."

At that moment I looked up from the picture and said, "I bet he misses you too." I could see the pain in her face and water was building up in her eye as I asked her if she lived alone. She said, "yes, I would really love a male companion... no sex, just a friend" I asked her if she went out with girlfriends at all and she said "no, not much." as she blankly stared ahead. She was called by the banker and as she got up, she turned and said, "can you give me a push?" I helped her up and she smiled, "it was nice to chat Shelley, thank you." I said "likewise" and she walked away.

I ended up getting finished at the same time as her and we walked out together. We chatted a bit more and then I asked her if I could take her picture. She laughed as she told me that she did not take good pictures and I assured her that it would be beautiful. I explained to her that I was a writer and that I "blogged" (of course I had to explain what that meant) and told her that I wanted to share meeting her with my readers. She was flattered and allowed me to take a photo of her. (then asked to see it for approval.)

What was so cool about this whole experience was that I filled a void for her, she wanted to "chat", and it was a great chat. However what she did for me was better. I saw first hand what true love looks like when I saw the look in her eyes as she showed Charles to me. She made me laugh, and inspired me to write about meeting her. The most valuable thing I got out of this was that being old and alone is sad, and that we should never take those who are close to us for granted. Not to mention I now know a logical excuse if I don't want to have sex with a man! HAHA! 


I also want to add that everything happens for a reason... cliche' as it may be, it is so true. The bank I went to today was a bank I no longer bank with, but needed copies from a closed account and just happened to have a few minutes between clients to go get them printed. Coincidence? I think not... 

I just love old people, I always have and Julie was certainly no exception. 

Moral of this story?
You never know what a moment of your time can do for someone else
 but if you offer it your heart may be touched in a way you never thought possible.


1 comment:

  1. Wow! Well said.I quote Dr.Wayne Dyer"Nothing is a coincidence,everything coincincides"cwood.

    ReplyDelete