Monday, March 19, 2012

HOPE ~ DEFEAT~ FEAR


Sitting in the Dr's office today I overheard a man next to me talking to a family member on the phone about his wife having a negative cancer check up and that "it was back." During the conversation he said many times, "we will get through this it’s not the first time, we will be okay and hopefully she will go into remission...again."  It is amazing to me that so often if you open up your ears  to other conversations when you are in public, you can hear things that will inspire you, things that make you feel blessed on days that you may have woken up feeling cursed. Hearing a story such as this where a man was so determined to get his wife through this again positively hoping for the best when everything about his body language said he was tired, sad, hopeless and afraid spoke very loud to me so I had to pull out my Ipad right after the appointment and write this blog post.

It is something that I often talk about... your attitude during times of adversity will likely give you the will to keep going and has everything to do with the outcome. Despite his obvious fear, this man was allowing hope to take over, and me being me... it made me smile. When he hung up the phone, he put his face into his hands... head down, on the verge of tears. He then suddenly breathed deep looked up and over at me, and said... "it shouldn't be too much longer of a wait I have been out here waiting on my wife for an hour... it makes you feel they don't think our time is important, but it certainly is."  I smiled and nodded in agreement as he patiently waited for his wife. A few minutes later my name was called and I felt blessed for the short wait I had.

I will tell you this my avid readers, life is much more fulfilling when you remove yourself from the equation sometimes; think of others, give to others, listen and be there for others... when you do this...whatever is going on in your life that is bringing you down is no longer your forefront clouding your vision and you will likely end up feeling that what you have going on isn't so bad after all. Hope is the opponent of fear and hope often wins because it causes different actions, it will not always bring you victory in the fight, but if you must go down, you will go down in flames!

"You gotta face the clouds to find the silver lining" 
(quoted from one of my favorite inspirational songs) 
http://youtu.be/7elxC8LXfzE






2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog whenever I can get on line. Unfortunately it is not for some time. I believe so much that you have to say. You are such a "Great" FRIEND. I know that everything that you write about comes right from your "HEART": I honestly don't know how you do it. You truly inspire me. Especially now in my trying trying hard times. I am watching my husband die right in front of my face and I can't can't do anything about it. I wish it was me instead of him. I keep saying "HE DOES NOT DESERVE THIS". His mom passed away six years ago on 3/21/05. I see Rick passing to the new life he will have with both his mom and dad very very soon. I am happy for that. They have been waiting for him. I keep telling him so. He is a saint!!! Yes, a SAINT!!!
    I will never find anyone like him ever again. He is truly my "Soul Mate". You know there has always been times I have heard that phrase and "laughed" because I thought how silly. Guess what??? It really is True. You will always one day find your "real Soul Mate". He is MINE FOREVER...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vivian, thank you for your kind words.The reason I blog is to touch lives by sharing how I choose to experience and look at life. I know how much pain you are in right now and I hope that soon that pain will be taken from your heart. I hope you are left with fond memories of a wonderful life with a wonderful man. Knowing he is no longer suffering will be wonderful and peaceful in itself. Hugs to you my friend. xoxo Shells~

      Delete